UNITED NEWS INTERNATIONAL (UNI) — Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has cancelled a multi-million dollar deal with Canada for combat utility helicopters.
During a news conference in Davao City on Friday, Feb. 9, President Duterte said the country will look for another supplier following reports that Canada was reviewing the deal.
ABS-CBN News reports Canadian officials became concerned after Philippine Maj. Gen. Restituto Padilla said the helicopters would be used for internal security operations.
Canada’s International Trade Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne said the deal had been previously struck in 2012 on the basis the helicopters would be used for search and rescue missions.
The deal completed last Tuesday was for 16 Bell 412EPI helicopters worth roughly $233 million.
As part of the deal, the helicopters were set to be delivered to the Philippines in 2019.