UNITED NEWS INTERNATIONAL (UNI) — Doctors in Texas operated on a man who had a firework impaled in his leg.

The story went public after researchers published a new case report in *The Journal of Emergency Medicine.

The 44-year-old man told doctors at San Antonio Military Medical Center he thought the mortar-like firework was a dud because it hadn’t ignited when he tried to light it but when he tried to reload the device, there was an explosion that left his leg seriously injured.

Doctors found his right femur was fractured, the wound was contaminated and the firework was lodged in his thigh.

Doctors worried the device could still explode.

Medical staff consulted with fire department experts on what to do.

They decided to drown the firework fuse with water to prevent it from exploding before operating.

The firework was safely removed and the man recovered. Researchers hope the story encourages hospitals to be prepared for explosive devices.