UNITED NEWS INTERNATIONAL (UNI) — U.S. President Donald Trump said that he is working with China to ensure that one of the country’s biggest telecom companies, ZTE, can do business with the U.S. again.
On May 13, Trump said via Twitter that he is working with Chinese President Xi Jinping to find a way to get ZTE “back into business, fast.”
Trump’s tweet came in response to the U.S. Commerce Department’s decision last month to slap the telecom giant with an export ban.
Commerce said that ZTE had violated the terms of a deal by evading sanctions against Iran and North Korea.
ZTE relies on U.S. companies for a number of supplies that are critical to its devices.
Last week, ZTE said that as a result of the ban, it had ceased “major operating activities.”
The move is a shift in tone for Trump, who previously accused China of stealing U.S. jobs.