UNITED NEWS INTERNATIONAL (UNI) – The Philippines has asked China to stop taking the catch off Filipino fishermen in the disputed Scarborough Shoal.

At a media briefing on June 11, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said, “We are not taking this sitting down.”

Roque was reacting to a report from GMA News last week, which said Chinese coast guard patrols take the best catches from Filipino fishermen in the area. The Philippine government has reportedly asked China to stop its coast guard from doing this and said those who have should be disciplined.

However, a spokesperson from the Chinese Foreign Ministry responded, saying it allows Filipinos to fish in the contested waters “out of goodwill” and that its coastguards operate within the law.

The Chinese Ambassador to the Philippines said on Tuesday, an investigation is ongoing but added initial findings show the incident was not harassment.