UNITED NEWS INTERNATIONAL (UNI) —President Donald Trump ordered American flags lowered to half-staff Tuesday, July 3 to honor the five people killed and two injured in a shooting at the Capital Gazette newspaper in Annapolis, Maryland.

Annapolis Mayor Gavin Buckley had earlier said his previous request to the White House to lower the flags had been denied.  

Buckley told The Baltimore Sun Monday he was “disappointed” about the denial, calling  the shooting an “attack on the press” and “an attack on freedom of speech” that was “just as important as any other tragedy.”

White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said as soon as  Trump directly heard the request was made by the mayor, it was verified and the president asked that flags be lowered immediately.

Sanders said she is “not sure about the process” which led to Buckley’s claim that his request was initially denied.

A  38-year-old man who reportedly had a grudge against the newspaper has been charged with five counts of murder.